Using 3D wood modeling software is a no-brainer for building projects where timber and wooden elements play a part. Using BIM software makes the work of engineers a lot faster and enables a clear line of communication from design drawings to building site.
Why? BIM helps create a crucial bridge between initial architect drawings and structural planning and engineering. It can also help speed up element production and thanks to automation, decrease project length whilst increasing accuracy.
Essentially, wood modeling software ensures complete continuity from the initial design and planning phase to final implementation by keeping all relevant information in one file.
As an ARCHICAD extension, ArchiFrame is a good example of wood modeling software that is optimized for architects, planners, designers, engineers, and wood element manufacturers. Using a solution like ArchiFrame means that you can output straight to CNC and produce planks and wood elements directly from the same file that the architect originally created in ARCHICAD. Here are 12 important benefits of using wood modeling software like ArchiFrame.
1. COLLABORATIVE BUILDING IS EASIER
- In the construction industry poor communication can lead to expensive errors and dips in profit margins.
- One of the clear benefits of wood modeling software is smoother and less error-prone collaboration between architects, engineers, building site managers, and people producing wooden elements in a factory.
- Architects create their designs in ARCHICAD, and then these same designs form the basis of the ArchiFrame structural model.
- The idea behind BIM is that everyone continues to work from the same file during iterations and updates as the building work develops.
- This is a faster and less error-prone process than the usual scenario where an engineer has to transfer architectural models into a separate program.
2. LESS ERRORS, FASTER PROCESSES
- Using wood modeling software like ArchiFrame means you can rely on intelligent software to help automatically place building elements for you. Build roofs, corners, and floors in record time with very little room for error.
- Rather than doing everything manually, automatically create and visualize stud walls and flooring based on architectural designs in moments.
- Using three-dimensional modeling, you can select elements from a virtual objects library to save time. You don’t have to design every single door frame and window opening from scratch and you can also rotate and edit individual elements for full customization.
- Need to make changes and adjustments? Just tell ArchiFrame what features you need to edit and use ArchiFrame settings to define angles and sizes to scale your building up or down.
3. DETAILED AND ACCURATE BUILDING
- Designing a building is a deeply collaborative and iterative process.
- Things develop quickly and you need to constantly balance speed with accuracy. Building projects can get really expensive pretty fast, especially if frequent last-minute changes are required.
- ArchiFrame lets you plan everything down to tiny details like how many individuals nails you need. There is no detail too small: sizes and shapes of planks, angles, grooves, nails. You can also design exterior paneling and light-gauge steel framing.
4. SMOOTHER TRANSITION FROM DESIGN TO CONSTRUCTION AND PRODUCTION
- Wood modeling software makes for a faster and less error-prone transition from the design to the construction phase, and can also help with element production.
- For example, ArchiFrame can create 2D drawings and a CNC file directly from the same 3D ArchiFrame model. Automatically draw dimension lines and generate accurate cut lists ready for production.
- Using the same software means that there won’t be any inconsistencies: errors like forgetting to update the CNC file after making changes to the 3D model or 2D drawings is a thing of the past.
5. BETTER BUILDING SITE PROJECT MANAGEMENT
- From a project management perspective, wood modeling software can be a life-saver.
- Take your ArchiFrame models directly to the production line and sync up the building site with engineering plans and architectural designs.
- By using mobile apps like BIMx you can take your structural plans down with you to the building site on a tablet or a mobile device.
- Having plans on a tablet can help you move to paperless production (though of course it’s also really easy to print directly from ArchiFrame).
- As well as easy printing, you have the safety net of everything being constantly synced. BIM workflow means better teamwork.
6. FEATURE-RICH SOFTWARE HELPS SAVE TIME
- ArchiFrame has lots of useful features that make creating a wooden home or building in timber faster and more enjoyable.
- ArchiFrame provides tools for designing walls, frames, column/beam structures, intermediate floors, and roof structures. Edit and automate elevation to save on project costs.
- ArchiFrame makes it possible to edit and reshape individual wooden planks and beams to get the desired result. Adapt and edit your individual wooden elements as the project develops. You can edit your object library database and every element is individually numbered for easy tracking.
- Make the most of the various import and export options, and the ability to overlay MEP engineering over a model for accurate collision checking.
7. BETTER QUALITY BUILDINGS
- Building and construction becomes very inefficient and lots of mistakes creep into the mix when things are done in a reactive way.
- Having to do ad hoc construction on-site and manually create planks make for an inefficient building design process. Wood modeling software can help combat that by cutting down the need for manual intervention and by helping you plan your building projects in greater detail.
- Manual work often exposes buildings to rain and the elements (and other non-optimal work conditions), ultimately making for a less safe building environment.
- Using wood modeling software means everyone will be singing from the same hymn sheet: architect, structural engineer, HVAC engineer, construction company, factory etc. This makes for a more cohesive and safer working environment that keeps building quality high.
8. BETTER VISUALIZATION
- Whereas an initial drawing is flat, ArchiFrame gives a deeper 3D perspective where you can visualize every single plank and timber element.
- Using a visualization add-on like RENDERLights will help you quickly create videos and animations that can help you present your building and ideas to clients and customers.
- The rapid development of AR and VR technology means that building is becoming more and more visual and wood modeling software can help bring things to life.
9. EASY ELEMENT PRODUCTION
- ArchiFrame enables the safe and scalable production of wooden elements such as planks and joists.
- You can isolate elements and easily duplicate them, making adjustments where needed.
- Output straight from ArchiFrame into CNC machine for less manual editing and for easy production at your factory or building site. ArchiFrame enables mass-production of wood elements in a factory using a CNC machine, minimizing manual work done on-site.
- ArchiFrame makes it easier to move production to the factory and things like wall elements can be remotely assembled (windows, insulation, cladding etc.). Using prefabricated elements means workers on-site can put everything together in just a few days.
- ArchiFrame literally opens up on top of ARCHICAD for a really seamless user journey and design process. You don’t have to learn a new system or get to know loads of new settings, you can use the same processes that you have grown accustomed to.
- And even if you are new to ARCHICAD, the software is easy to adopt and use.
- The Great thing about ArchiFrame is its integration with the ARCHICAD product family, so that you can make the most of existing ARCHICAD extensions and technology.
11. CREATIVE BUILDING PROJECTS
- Modern building is all about including a variety of materials and textures in one building.
- It might seem counterintuitive at first, but wood modeling software isn’t just for wood. You can also use a system like ArchiFrame to build steel frames needed for building in wood.
- ArchiFrame is also suitable for a wide range of buildings, from smaller residential homes to larger commercial buildings.
- Creative use of materials will make your building a better prospect for investors and residents.
12. RESPONDING TO BUILDING TRENDS
- Wood modeling software can help you meet urgent needs related to sustainability, productivity, and building materials.
- Wood construction and prefabricated elements can help you build better timber buildings quickly and efficiently.
- ArchiFrame can be used to model urban townhouses or timber public buildings to build a better urbanized world.
- The main selling points of wood modeling software relate to the integration of architectural design, structural design, and element production.